Friday, February 26, 2016

FIve Year Review/Pilot Project






Today is the last Friday of the month, which makes it time to review my five year goal. Thanks to Misha Gericke for putting this on each month. My goal? To have a world class publishing company. Right now things are going well. The patent is pending for Ubooks and Black and White is opening up for submissions in May. We’re currently working on a children’s book project that I’m really excited about—both the author and illustrator are super-talented, which makes my job much easier. I’ll post more on that later. The pieces just seem to be coming together.

And

Today is also Pilot Project Review time.

I know this is a bit dated, but my daughter and I decided to go retro: Cheers. We figured if we liked it, we could move onto Fraiser. Well, we didn’t like it, at least not the pilot. In it, Diane shows up in Sam’s bar with her fiancĂ©. He leaves her there and, feeling sorry for her, Sam offers her a job, which she takes. If it sounds dry, it’s because it is. On the plus side, there is something about the idea of a place where you're welcome, no matter who you are. Which explains the rag-tag mix of characters who make a debut there. There's Carla, the tiny ornery barmaid who somehow manages to command everyone's respect. And who can forget Norm and Cliff, the two always planted on their seats at the end of the bar--a great place to command/dictate the course of conversation. And Sam. The ex-ball player who is also an ex-drunk who happens to own the place.  So will I keep on watching the show? No. Would I be there if such a place existed? Absolutely.
Have a great weekend everyone.
 
 
  

 

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! I would love to hear more about the patent process. Maybe, we can do an interview about our publishing project sometime. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best wishes! Keep us updated. It's fascinating to find out how you're doing with the publishing project!

    And, I think Cheers is best in very small doses. My husband's family loves the show, and I watched a few episodes with them when my husband and I were dating. I heard them talk about it and found out why they liked the show, which made it more enjoyable for me. However, it's not my usual fare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like lots of exciting things are happening. Good luck with opening submissions in May, that will be really exciting!
    angelinetrevena.co.uk/five-year-project-the-big-red-pen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, that is a great, ambitious goal to have a world class publishing company. I was so excited for you to see that you are working to achieve this goal. I wish you every good wish for success and for the opening of submissions in May.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technically... the place does exist in Boston. Both the original outside location seen in the show, and a recreated version (that's also a restaurant) based on the interior of the set. But are the fictional characters real? No, obviously not.
    Personally, I prefer Kirstie Alley's Rebecca Howe character to Diane. But that's later seasons. Frasier was a character on Cheers, yes. But the two shows are very different from each other, in my opinion. There's no great way to say this, but Cheers was written for the blue collar working class, where as Fraiser was written for more educated, higher-earning individuals. Frasier shared an audience with Murphy Brown.

    Anyway, I hope your publishing company goals go well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your project is going well. Can't wait to see how your publishing project goes. :-D

    ReplyDelete