Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reflections

I know for a lot of us the changing of one year into another is a time of change and of reflection, and it has always been that way for me, too. But this year is more so than ever before. I'm writing this as I sit at my desk at work. This will be my last night working here. A little over two weeks ago our unit closed suddenly. It was a surprise and wasn't at the same time. All of us expected to stay open until the New Year, and so the powers that be let us, although we're only a shell of what we once were. You can't really call yourself a nurse when you have no patients to take care of, and we haven't, not for over two weeks. I was the one to wheel that last patient out and  now I will be the one to close the doors for good. I have been a nurse for seventeen years and now I face the very real possibility that my nursing career may only have hours left. Events like that really make you take stock of your life, what's important and not. I love being a nurse. I'm a good nurse. But now it's time for something new. What that is, only God knows.

So here's to you, all my patients past. I've heard your collective cry and now I weep with you.

9 comments:

  1. Oh I am so sorry to hear your news. This was a beautiful post and I wish you all the best for the future hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, Melanie...

    I can't believe the unit closing. The medical professions have been the only ones that have survived all the cut backs, but sadly that is not the case for you.

    So sad to hear about this.

    But always remember .... when a door closes a window opens...

    This year will have many changes. Your compassion for helping people will ALWAYS be needed. I honestly don't believe your nursing career is over. You may end up working with the elderly in a nursing home, With children who really need you.

    Wishing you the best in your new endeavor. You'll make it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your work closing it's doors. I know it sounds cliche, but I truly believe when one door closes, God opens another. Perhaps an even better position is in the future for you- hang in there Mel. Wishing you peace and blessings in 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry about your job. I have three sisters who are nurses and it seems like there's always a shortage of nurses wherever they live and two of them have moved around a lot. But I know many health care organizations are cutting costs by cutting nurses even though all studies show that good nursing care is one of the top needs for quick and complete recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry, Melanie. It's a helpless feeling when we aren't in charge of our working environment. Maybe this will lead to a new opportunity though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to hear of your job loss. The new year truly is a new beginning for many. I wish you well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May the new treat you well. I'm sorry they took this from you, Melanie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Melanie, hang in there. You're the type of woman who can get through anything when she puts her mind to it, I just know it. Let 2014 be the year of change for bigger and brighter things. HUGS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had my nursing unit shut down, but I have an idea of how empty and scary that can be. Here's to the hope that you find a great new place!

    ReplyDelete