Friday, December 13, 2013

Celebrate the Small Things and Express Yourself



Today I'm celebrating snow. I like the stuff, at least until about mid-January, then you can have it. But for now, so close to Christmas, I say let it snow!



The topic for this week is to list something I always look forward to this time of year:
Christmas. We spend the whole month getting ready, between decorating, and cookie baking, and everything else in-between. This Sunday, my sisters, mom, and I are going on our annual Christmas shopping outing. Very little shopping ever gets done, but we spend all day doing it. And there's usually food involved. And wine. It's lovely.

Speaking of wine. I mentioned last week that I was going back to school starting this January, and I am, to the new Culinary Institute in Niagara Falls. I am going to become a Winemaker. Seriously- how fun does that sound? My classes will be things like food and wine pairing, where we'll go to local restaurants and the chefs will make specialty dishes for us to sample along with local made wines. I think I may have picked the only college degree available where you need a designated driver to get home from your classes. Needless to say, I can't wait.

How about you- what do you look forward to this time of year?

12 comments:

  1. A winemaker - that sounds cool!
    Envy your snow. We are just cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winemaking sounds wonderful. I have friends who did that and though they haven't quit their day jobs, their winery is doing very well and they've had to hire some outside help. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish it would snow here, but it's not even that cold. Sigh. We'll probably get the snow in March, like usual.
    Ooh wine making, now that sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being a winemaker sounds awesome. I hope you all enjoy the shopping outing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winemaking sounds fun! Have a great time shopping/spending time with your mom and sisters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Given how intensely I've been writing for the first half of December, I'm looking forward to having all of my stories submitted and my work done with. I'm looking forward to black tea, pie, beef stew, family chilling out and playing Jenga, and that new Telltale Walking Dead game. It could be a lovely second half of our last month. And I'm looking forward to all of the Best Reads posts.

    Are you considering joining us for the #betsreads2013 blog hop? http://johnwiswell.blogspot.com/2013/12/kicking-off-bestreads2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becoming a winemaker sounds amazing. I've always dreamed of owning a vineyard and making my own wine. Maybe when I retire...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That sounds very fun! I'm sure I would need a designated driver every week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, a wine maker! A relative is getting her degree in vineyard management. It's amazing what you can learn these days. Merry Christmas. I used to spend a month on Christmas, although not anymore. My kids are grown. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am more likely to celebrate summer than snow. Congrats on winemaker school. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Snow! It is great this time of year ;)

    Winemaker school! How awesome is that?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's interesting that you're going to become a winemaker, and your classes sound like fun too! I bet everyone will want you to make wine for them now. I like gingerbread cookies. They sell really good ones at Water Tower Place here in Chicago, but only at Christmas. So it's something I look forward to.

    ReplyDelete