Thursday, December 13, 2012

What Genre is your book?


I tell you, I’ve had a hard time with this, and not just the nitty-gritty part where you try to decide if it qualifies as magical realism or paranormal. I’m talking big things like if it’s YA, or Adult.
I’ve been told I should gauge it on the age of my characters and since my MC is sixteen at the beginning of the book it should be a YA, but I’m still not sure. If that was always the case then Carrie by Steven King would be YA, along with Gone with the Wind and countless others. My books deal with some very adult subjects, so shouldn’t that figure into it as well? Just throwing it out there, wondering what you think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat - my project would be considered YA since the MC is 16 years old. But he's in a VERY adult world. And I never intended to write for a YA audience.

    I've never heard the term "magical realism." Sounds oxymoronic to me. Stick with paranormal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way. I just wrote the story I wanted to write. I hate that it has to be pigeon holed.

    ReplyDelete