Wednesday, January 7, 2015

IWSG

First Wednesday of the Month

It doesn't feel like it should be, but today is the first Wednesday of the month making it IWSG time. It's a time where we reveal all our insecurities in this overwhelming pursuit of that wonderful word: authorship. It is a wonderful way to offer support to one another. If you feel like joining us, you can. The sign up is here.

This month my insecurity is the biggest roadblock to my writing career. It lingers behind every corner, every phone call, every trip to the library, every dish washed and every shirt folded. It is, quite simply, distraction. Distraction is what takes my best intentions and buries them under minutes turned into hours turned into years. Distractions let dust build up on my computer. Distractions are a wasting disease that will be the death of me. Distractions have me look at the clock and say "maybe later". Distractions whisper in my ear that it doesn't really matter, does it? That's when I yell at the top of my lungs  "Yes! Yes it does!" And I dust off my computer and look at the screen and I let my fingers brush along the keys.

And I start.

18 comments:

  1. Starting is the hardest part, Melanie. Once you get past that, it gets easier. Next month you'll be telling us about the progress you've made. It all starts with the first step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Distractions are everywhere and yes normal life gets into the way of writing. Dealing with everyday minutenae saps my creative juices and leaves me tired and cranky. :-) You make a good point. Sometimes it's a matter of sitting down and starting. Or, in my case, just getting back into a routine.

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been fighting the same battle so this inspired me - I'm going to yell "Yes it does!" the next time these thoughts creep up and stop me in my tracks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Distractions get us all. I need to try that shouting thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO TRUE, Melanie....

    I have CONSTANT distractions... I haven't written anything new in YEARS... BUT I am aware and will fight those pesky distractions in the future. This is MY MONTH to return back to writing and I WILL!

    Happy New Year! All the best for 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very easily distracted so I'm constantly having this problem. Hopefully we can both work through it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I am my own worst distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, sometimes just getting myself to sit down and load up the manuscript is the hardest part. Maybe I should get some water first. Or maybe I should check my email. Once I begin writing though, then everything is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That must have been hard. Well done :-)

    Here's my link if you'd like to drop by :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so guilty of getting distracted. I need deadlines and lists and every now and then, a foot in my bum.

    Very well said :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post, and certainly true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Distraction is really hurting me lately. I really need to learn to manage my time better. Good luck with keeping your focus on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a wonderful post!

    It does MATTER! Everything we say to the best of our ability matters tremendously. Keep writing and keep saying what needs to be said. Don't let distractions take you from your calling!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good for you! I've been putting off the editing of my second novel for long enough. A trip to the library to do some extra research has helped. I also have to remember that anything new that comes on the television will always be repeated.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to overcome the insidious undervaluing of what we do! I really would like to destroy the internet so I can get some work done, but then what would I do when I need to know what the treatment is for a broken arm or how long it takes to drive from Bellingham to Wenatchee?
    Rebecca at www.ninjalibrarian.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HA! I totally got DISTRACTED while reading posts and re-clicked on yours again! And you know what? I got something NEW out of it! Sorry about that :D Looks like I know what my main roadblock is as well. At least I'm in good company :D
    ~J

    ReplyDelete