Friday, November 22, 2013

Express Yourself and Celebrate the Small Things


The question for this week is what do you carry around in your purse/wallet? I'm thirty-seven years old and I finally started carrying around a purse a couple years ago. I just never liked them- too bulky I guess. But my lovely Aunt Jen (waves hi) had this little plaid purse that I fell in love with, and because my Aunt is amazing, she gave it to me. Now that purse went the way of purses about a year ago, but I became hooked. I now have a fossil one I love, still small, still me. There's really only room in there for my wallet and phone, and maybe my lip gloss if I really work at it.



The small things I'm celebrating this week are:

1. I finally went to one of my local NaNo write-in things. It was at a local Spot Coffee. I went with my lap top and it turns out all sorts of wrong ideas. I thought it would be a group of people sitting side by side, soaking up the collective energy of the moment and just writing their hearts out.
Boy was I wrong. There was a group of twelve or so very writerly types sitting off in a closed circle with their lap tops all up. Obviously no room for me. So I went to the next table over and got myself some jasmine tea and plunked away. I ended up having one of the most productive hours of writing I've ever had. Maybe there is something to be said for getting out of your comfort zone after all.

2. NaNo (again) Forgive me. It's November, so I'm deep in the midst of it. My word count is in the upper thirties, which means you'll probably see a little NaNo winner badge gracing this blog at the end of the month, but more importantly, I actually like this story. It's Newstead from Steven's perspective, which has been really fun (and sometimes really hard) to write.

3. I went to see Captain Phillips with the hubbie the other night. I'm having a bit of post-traumatic stress over the whole thing, really. It reminded me a lot of my job. Not the guns and the shooting, but the high tension where you're in charge of the safety of everyone and you have to make some quick decisions or people will get hurt. And being the person front and center, more than likely that person will be you. It happens more often than I like to admit. So maybe it's a good thing that as of January I won't be doing it anymore.

So what about you? Celebrating any small things? What do you carry in your purse or wallet?



14 comments:

  1. I used to do the small purse thing but then my kids started throwing their crap in there and I had to upgrade. Congrats on all the hard work for NaNo. I've always wanted to experience writing outside of my home but I don't think I could do it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never written in a group of people, so no idea how I would do in that situation.
    So are you quitting your job in January?
    Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping to finish NaNo in the next few days, I've had a great time with it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry the write-in wasn't what you expected, but at least you got a lot of writing done; that's always good. I always carry big purses because I carry a journal and sometimes a book with me. I spend a lot of time on the El and the bus, so I need something to pass the time, which is why I also need enough room for my iPod with my Britney playlists. And yes, I have more than one playlist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. NO NANO. =) Let me see, in my wallet you'll find only the essentials--identification, cards, a little change, and a receipt or two. What does that say about me? I'm a minimalist. Keep it simple. Don't carry baggage. Experiences are more important than things. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My wallet gets so much trash in it, I have to clean it out monthly. It barely ever holds money. :)

    M.L. Swift, Writer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I carry a wallet/purse on a long strap that I put over my shoulder. I hate carrying a big purse and have the bare minimum in mine. ID, bank card, insurance cards and my AAA card. What else does a girl need.
    Sounds like a great time at the coffee shop. I need a few hours like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All our NaNo meets are over a hundred miles away. Can't justify all that gas to go for an hour. Wish we had one closer. My Nano stalled due to getting some god awful migraines but I already knew that between my work schedule and a plethora of other things that I'd not be able to get 50k done. Which is ok, but the story is still moving along. I just need to update my word counts. Haven't had the chance to do that this past week.

    I carried purses until my kids were born and then I carried a wallet and stuck it in the diaperbag. Purse was just one more thing I couldn't carry, lol! I still have the cool, carry everything wallet but I now carry purses too. I received the two I favor as gifts as well. Hey, I don't forget my purse anymore--which was a problem when I started carrying them again when I got rid of the diaperbag. lol!

    Sia McKye Over Coffee

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wallet is pretty much empty in terms of cash. I have too many cards in it.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been to a write in. The whole idea kind of weirds me out a little. But maybe that's because I do most of my writing alone, at 5:30am or alone after everyone else goes to bed. Glad you were productive though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I carry a huge purse. I couldn't even begin to tell you what's in it because I haven't seen the bottom of it in a long time! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your write in was productive even if not quite what you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I want to go see Captain Phillips, so I'll let you know what I think.

    My friend and I were talking about the Nano write-ins people have. Sorry you were rejected by their tight knit circle, but a cup of Jasmine tea and plunking away by myself sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear the NaNo group was uninviting, but at least you got a lot of writing done. I always more productive in terms of writing when I'm outside the house/comfort zone. Which reminds me, I should hit the coffee shop tomorrow... (:

    ReplyDelete