Monday, March 7, 2016

Beloved Belinda


Yesterday, one of the absolute worst things happened. My phone went off while we were in church (that’s not the bad thing). Now, there’s only three to four people who call me on a regular basis and they were all sitting next to me, so I knew something was up. And it was. It was my neighbor calling to say she’d seen one of my chickens being carried away by a fox. Now, I know what you’re thinking; a little dramatic here Melanie, don’t you think? And you’d be right, except for one thing:

 
That is Hannah, my nine year old daughter. She loves these chickens, has named each one, and spends the majority of her day playing with them. The one in question, Belinda, was her pupil in chicken school (she had a nasty habit of pecking everyone but Hannah, so Hannah has been trying to reform her). I even have a video of her pushing one on a baby swing. I kid you not. So, needless to say, one of these precious ones being carted off by the big bad fox led to more than a little trauma and tears at our house yesterday. And after finding such a tasty meal I'm sure the fox will be back. Any suggestions?