Wednesday, February 4, 2015

IWSG

First Wednesday of the Month
Today is the first Wednesday of the month, making it IWSG day. If you feel like joining in, you can. Here is the link.
IWSG is an acronym for Insecure Writer’s Support Group. The meaning and purpose of this group is near  and dear to my heart.
 I’ve been a reader all my life and it never once occurred to me that a writer could be insecure, that it might actually be difficult for them to publish. Now, I’m not talking about the publishing process itself, that’s a whole different topic for another day. No, I’m talking about writing in the first place, and then, being willing to release that writing to the world. I had no idea, until I became a writer myself, that putting words down on paper is like barring your soul; and that to relative strangers. I never realized how incredibly courageous that was, how super-hero worthy.  I just thought they were words, made into stories. I didn’t know they were the essence of a person, and therefore should be handled carefully. That’s why I rarely review.  I’m just too critical, and I know how that can hurt.  So here I am, raising my glass to all of you brave souls who have had the courage to reveal yourself, and to you, who are still trying to work up the nerve. I say go for it.
The world needs to know who you are.

13 comments:

  1. We are super heroes! Or just gluttons for punishment, one of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting--I put all that work in, but the publishing process is SO slow, you don't really even think about that heart and soul until you read a horrible review...and then it's gut-wrenching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A writer sure does put their heart and soul into their writing. And I did notice that you rarely review. When you rated Hurricane Crimes with a 3, I was worried you didn't like it but I guess I should be grateful. ;) This post is lovely. I love your ending thoughts. *raises glass* Here to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting how much emotion goes into it, even when we're writing fiction that has nothing to do with us personally! You just can't help but get attached to your writing so putting your work out there can be scary.

    February IWSG Co-host

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, writers have to be brave, and yes, there is a lot of emotion that goes into writing.

    For me, the scary part is that it seems that a writer's work isn't always interpreted the way I believe it was intended to be. But all we can do is try our best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those words are incredibly personal and a part of us. It's hard to let them go, all the while praying no one kills them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's very true that it's hard to put your feelings and experiences on paper! Everyone has different ideas about what's good and what's not. Its so easy for them to misunderstand what you wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long ago I thought courage the most important virtue. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking (have been for a while) that gentleness is up at the top...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think writers are incredibly courageous! I think everyone has a unique voice that deserves to be heard. Spending twenty-five years teaching 6-10 year olds has taught me compassion when evaluating the work of writers ~ because they're always baring their souls! Have a good one, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Exactly, and I think of all the ones that came before us. They didn't have the community we have today. We are a lucky bunch. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent advice, Melanie. The world DOES need to know who you are. Thanks for this post, brightened my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I spent years writing in journals and never sharing them with anyone. I did show my stories to my classmates in a fiction writing class I took in college, but they ripped the stories apart (admittedly, the stories weren't very good). One person even accused me of plagiarizing my story, which I hadn't done, and the irony was that someone else's story in the class (which was praised by everyone else) really was plagiarized verbatim; that "writer" had stolen a famous writer's work for her own story and passed it off as her own. So that experience discouraged me from showing my writing to other people for several years, until I started blogging and actually letting other people read and comment on my writing again. Blogging has been a much more positive experience, and it gave me the courage to send my writing out to literary magazines too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I clicked away before hitting publish on my last comment. Sorry if it show us and I didn't notice. This was an encouraging post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete