Friday, February 27, 2015

Five Year Project


Last Friday of the Month
Life: that thing that happens when
 you’re busy planning things.

-John Lennon

This is the last Friday of the month, which makes it five year project time. If you feel like joining the group, or visiting the rest of us, you can. Here is the link.

My five-year goal: to have a world class publishing company.
 
For those of you familiar with my work, you know I use quotes a lot and this week the one above made it into one of my books. It’s always been one of my favorites, because it seems to apply to just about everything in my life. I plan things and then life happens and it turns out life, the one I didn’t plan, is so much better.

I didn’t plan to move. We were at our last house for sixteen years, all my kids had their first steps there; it was a good house, a house I planned to live in for the rest of my life. And then someone offered to buy it and now I find myself in a new house with five acres that are almost a blank canvas. I find myself with the little hobby farm I always dreamed of, but never planned for.

And my books. I am a nurse. I never planned to write. It was literally something I didn’t do one day, and started the next. It wasn’t in the plans, but it has been amazing.

So, my plan is to have a publishing company. Will it happen? Probably not the way I planned it, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

How about you—has your life been better or worse than the one you planned?

7 comments:

  1. Better than planned!
    It's like God answering prayers. He never does it the way we want, but it's always better. Now you have your farm and it will be completely amazing.
    I never planned on being an author either. And then only one book. What the heck hapened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never intended to have four children, no more than two, but our large family is wonderful. My two step sons though much older than their half-siblings are so supportive. They're all very close and we all look for excuses to get together. I never really planned on being a writer but here I am.
    Congrats on the house and acreage. Pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you were a nurse! I always admired people who work in the medical profession, because they have the discipline and the patience to work long hours helping people, many of whom, thanks to sources like Jenny McCarthy, Wikipedia, and Google, incorrectly think they know more than the doctors, nurses, and other healthcare workers who are helping them.
    My life isn't as good as I thought it would be when I was younger, but that's mainly because I'm still mired in the nine circles of Hell, also known as grad school. I'm hoping that things will get better once I'm finally done, which will hopefully be in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your thoughts on this! I never thought I would get married, but I did and my husband has been a wonderful blessing for 18 years now. :) Unexpected blessings are great, aren't they?
    Love that your life has turned out so good!

    And, I am interested in starting a small press someday . . . like in ten years, so please let me know how it goes, and what the process is like. I'm really interested in learning more.

    Blessings to you, your family, and all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't tend to trip over "better" things but I'm definitely open if anything comes my way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way life goes sometimes, but I strongly believe it all goes exactly how it's supposed to. Good luck with your goal. Believe it, and it will happen, though, like you say, probably not in the way you expect.
    Angeline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melanie! It's so interesting how life throws curveballs at us sometimes. It sounds like you've had an amazing ride with your writing, even if you didn't expect it to go the way it did!

    ReplyDelete