Wednesday, July 2, 2014

IWSG


Today is the first Wednesday of the month, which makes it IWSG time. It’s a time to reflect on what makes us insecure as writers, and to offer support to others who may be going through the same things as ourselves. Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for hosting this along with his co-hosts. If you’d like to join in, you can find the list here .

As most of the readers of this blog know, one of my biggest insecurities as a writer is marketing, and this past weekend that particular insecurity was put to the test. I had a tent in an art show, which is something I’ve done in the past, and while I’ve done fairly well in the book sales department, I’ve always felt on display, which is something that really brings out all those insecurities that I’d thought I’d outgrown. But I went, and this time was different. I’m not a shy person. In fact, one of the things I am very good at is talking with people. It’s not unusual for me to have a five minute conversation with someone and find out their entire life story; it’s part of the reason I became a psychiatric nurse, it’s the main reason I’m good at it. So I decided to do that at the art show. Instead of just sitting behind a table staring back at the people staring at me, I talked with them. I asked questions, I made a lot of new friends. I had a wonderful time.  So maybe I’m finally starting to get over it. I hope so.

How about you—gotten over any insecurities lately?

15 comments:

  1. LOL, no all my insecurities all still firmly in place. Promotion is a big one, but I get stage fright to the point of no memory of my actions, so bravo for you.

    Juneta at Writer's Gambit

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I read about marketing is that it's a good thing to engage with people. I think you did a great job and it's a marketing strategy that will help you. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had some great fun at signings and it helps when there's someone like you who is good at talking with strangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you! Bet it was also a lot less boring.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how to do it! I've never just sat there. The smartest advice I was ever given about events was to get up and mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to learn your skill. Can we hang out?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations, that's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're braver than I am! I am a shy person and the thought of starting up a conversation with a stranger is giving me butterflies. I don't know how I'll react when I actually have a book signing or a table at an event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's great you are overcoming your insecurities! I'm happy for you! I'm not good at speaking with people either, so great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not too bad with people unless I feel on display. Then I feel... awkward. Definitely, something I should work on. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's amazing!@! I am so proud/happy for you!! Way to step out of your comfort zone and promote your work at the same time. I am someone who loves to meet to new people and talks to just about anyone, anywhere. My brother has always teased me (he is a CLASSIC introvert and the opposite of me) that I can talk to someone for five minutes, and they always wind up telling me their entire life story. It's so ironic and funny, at one point in our careers we both worked for the same company. My brother was a tech, doing CT/MRI imaging, and I was doing the marketing for the same place. His having to start IV's and inject patients with radioactive dye, (part of his job) made me want to throw up!! I could never even imagine doing that to anyone, and then he said, taking strangers out to dinner or to entertain them (part of my job requirement), made him want to throw up!! He would ask me, "What do you say? How do you talk to them?" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Getting started is the hard part, but once you begin a conversation with a stranger, you find you can connect easily. Good for you for taking that step and using your skills in a new setting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations!
    Sounds like you've overcome that hurdle!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Melanie,

    All you had to do was be yourself - and look what happened :)

    Congrats and great to hear you've put (at least) one insecurity to bed :)

    ReplyDelete