Wednesday, July 2, 2014

IWSG


Today is the first Wednesday of the month, which makes it IWSG time. It’s a time to reflect on what makes us insecure as writers, and to offer support to others who may be going through the same things as ourselves. Thanks to Alex J. Cavanaugh for hosting this along with his co-hosts. If you’d like to join in, you can find the list here .

As most of the readers of this blog know, one of my biggest insecurities as a writer is marketing, and this past weekend that particular insecurity was put to the test. I had a tent in an art show, which is something I’ve done in the past, and while I’ve done fairly well in the book sales department, I’ve always felt on display, which is something that really brings out all those insecurities that I’d thought I’d outgrown. But I went, and this time was different. I’m not a shy person. In fact, one of the things I am very good at is talking with people. It’s not unusual for me to have a five minute conversation with someone and find out their entire life story; it’s part of the reason I became a psychiatric nurse, it’s the main reason I’m good at it. So I decided to do that at the art show. Instead of just sitting behind a table staring back at the people staring at me, I talked with them. I asked questions, I made a lot of new friends. I had a wonderful time.  So maybe I’m finally starting to get over it. I hope so.

How about you—gotten over any insecurities lately?