Thursday, July 9, 2015

Meeting Parker

For me, the story begins with a character. That’s why most of the inspiration for my stories comes from pictures of people. I see in them something I want to capture in a story. For Pathfinder, that picture was of my nephew. He’s looking out while the world is blurring around him. It’s like he’s the only one not moving. Something about that really appealed to me. That picture gave birth to the main character, Matt Parker. Most people call him Parker, but a select few, the ones who really know him, get to call him Matt. He’s one of four kids, a mixed family, the only child of his mother. His step brothers and sister live with them, and they’re definitely the favored ones. His step father works all the time and his mother is loud and angry, most of the time at Parker.

He’s eleven (may change this to thirteen, still thinking about that one) and he’s pretty average and ordinary. Except his dreams. They’re incredible. Everyone calls him Matt there, because everyone really knows him. When he’s not asleep he wants to be because that life is so much better.

That’s what I have so far. Right now I’m in the getting-to-know-you stage in my relationship with Parker. Hopefully soon I’ll get to call him Matt, too.

Next week I’ll talk about the secondary characters. Until then, have a great weekend!

-Mel

6 comments:

  1. I'm sure there are kids who really live like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parker sounds interesting, especially the part where he wishes he could live in his dreams. I know what that feels like! Sometimes the dream world seems better than the "real" one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to hoping Matt discovers his place, perhaps in another place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A dream world that's nicer than real life... I hope Parker finds his way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, are the dreams real or just a means of escape? Is there a whole dream world?
    I wonder where you're heading with this, interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very intriguing! sounds like a good start to a story.

    ReplyDelete