Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Indie Life

Second Wednesday Each Month

The best thing about Indie? The work itself. In Indie it can be whatever you want. You don’t have to worry about the latest trends, or what’s selling. You can just write what you love. Sounds all warm and fuzzy, right? But what about the bones, the how-to?

It’s different for each of us, but here’s how it is for me:

In two days, I’m going on a trip to the Adirondacks; it’s one of my favorite places on earth, but it’s not a vacation (okay, not just a vacation), I’m going there to be inspired. As a visual person, I need to actually go to the locations of the stories I write. I need to see and smell and hear and touch. I take pictures, and then study them. In short, I make an emotional connection to the setting itself. That’s how I make my stories feel as real as they do, because to me, they are. Now, that’s not always possible. In Bashan, Joel went to Syria. As you can imagine, that’s not a trip I’ll be taking anytime too soon. So, if I can’t be there in real life, I go in books. I read as much as I can about the area, fiction and nonfiction alike. You can make an emotional connection there, too. If not, then what’s the point in this whole writing thing anyway?

Only then, after I’ve immersed myself into the realness of it all, do I sit down to write.

How about you—what do your bones look like?

Come back next Wednesday and I’ll reveal more of mine.

3 comments:

  1. I tried visiting Cassa, but my Cosbolt was broken...
    Hope you come back inspired and ready to write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often used places I have visited for settings or use something I've seen pictures of. I wouldn't recommend visiting Syria right now either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of going to a place to soak in what you can. So many times I pass by a place and don't really stop to see, hear, etc the place. It would add atmo. :-)

    Anna from Shout with Emaginette

    ReplyDelete