Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Writer Review: Maggie Stiefvater


Today I’m doing a review of Maggie Stiefvater’s book Shiver. Actually, I’m reviewing Maggie, herself, as a writer. I loved the Shiver series. Loved it. I thought the characters were deep and relatable and unique. She is excellent at getting to the feelings in the situation and making you weep right along with the characters that are experiencing it. When I finished the first book I immediately went out and bought the second, and then the third. I loved them so much I bought The Raven Boys, even though I already knew it was about the occult. For those of you who don’t know me too well yet, I avoid the occult like the plague it is, at least anything that represents it as being a positive thing. But I read it and loved the writing and the concept. I never did get over my aversion to mediums being the good guys, but that’s not what I’m focusing on here. While I love Stiefvater’s writing, really, really love it, I do think she has one Achilles heel.
The ending.
I could have read about Sam forever, and I wanted to, but instead I was left with a synopsis style ending to wrap things up. I thought it was just a fluke, but the same thing happened with The Raven Boys.
It wouldn’t have stood out for me so much probably, it her writing hadn’t been so excellent prior to that point.
Any thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I'm a HUGE Maggie Stiefvater fan. I love how lyrical her writing is. She uses such beautiful prose that it's just amazing to read. And I like how deep all her characters seem. I'm really looking forward to The Raven Boys.

    Personally, I don't have a problem with her endings. I know a lot of people do, but I like how she leaves it kind of open ended for people to decide what happens next. Sometimes I want a more definitive ending, but Maggie is such an amazing writer that she gets away with it. :)

    ReplyDelete