Friday, September 21, 2012

More on Inspiration


I’ve done it. I’ve picked what my next project will be. And as I did, I realized something else about how I begin the process.
For me it all starts with questions.
With the Newstead Trilogy it began years before I even thought about writing. I was working in a 28 day rehab program (for those of you that don’t know, I’m a psych nurse) when a patient asked me a question, one that haunted me for a long time.
He was in the dining room with a Bible in his hand when he walked up to me and pointed to a verse way back in the beginning. Now I’m fairly well versed in the Bible, not as much as some people, but I can usually hold my own when we play Bible Trivia for family game night.  Anyways, when he pointed to that verse I was completely stumped. I had no clue.
It was Genesis 6:4, the Nephilim verse.
I stammered and said I didn’t know and we both left the room and I thought we’d left that question behind, too.
But I don’t like unanswered questions. So I looked into it.
It turns out the Bible, as well as the book of Enoch has a whole bunch to say about that particular topic, so when the time finally came for me to write, I naturally gravitated towards that.
As I started thinking about my next project, I looked at the questions I was asking and the one that stood out the most was: Are ghosts for real?
Looks like it’s time for some more research.

Please join me on Monday as I do a review of the novel The Mormon Diaries.

1 comment:

  1. I am very caught up with the idea of ghost at this moment. I will definitely look at the verse of scripture sometimes, to see what it says. I am intrigued to find out how the verse prompted your question, "Are ghosts real?"

    Nice question. Yep, I'm off to do some research myself:)

    ReplyDelete