Thursday, September 13, 2012

Inspiration


Where does it come from? I’ve thought about that a lot in the past few days as I’ve tried to decide what my next project will be. My series has five books in it, and I’ve been told very kindly by my editor that I should come up with something different to do after.
Something different- but how? I’ve lived and breathed Nephilim and Nazarites and Prophetesses for the last two years. But he’s right. The last thing I want to do is get branded.
So on to different…
Honestly I’m having trouble with this one, but as I go over my journals I realize that Rachel and Joel and Nathan and Marcus didn’t just come to me, they were inspired by different things in my life.
I’m a visual person, so often times my inspiration comes from photographs. Like Rachel; she came to life after I saw Ruth Orkins’ 1954, An American Girl in Italy. I was so moved when I saw that photo. Here was a beautiful innocent girl obviously being scared out of her wits as she’s harassed by a street full of guys.
And Joel. He was born the day my husband was.
But it’s more than that. I think every writer will tell you that the entire story is made up of bits and pieces of you, of moments in the writer’s life.
So now I’m looking at my old photo box, looking for a new kind of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment