Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Birthdays and other announcements

Today is my daughter’s sixth birthday.
It’s so much fun watching her go up to perfect strangers and announce her big news. They pacify her, telling her happy birthday; some sincerely, some not so much.
It’s the same way when I tell people I’m writing. Each time I say the words I cringe, wondering if I said too much.  
But I said it, it’s out there, and I sit back and wait for the responses. Some people are genuinely happy. Others look at me incredulously like Who do you think you are, writing a book? Others just try to pacify me.
It’s especially hard, because I’ve thought all of those things myself. Who do I think I am? Then I try to pacify myself, and if it’s a good day I’ll end up just feeling content in what I’m doing.
Because it’s not about them, or me; it’s about doing what God created you to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment