Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Riders on the Storm, the last chapter

Riders on the Storm, the last chapter

In the end my father did the most unexpected thing; he just pulled over.
As he reached past me for his pistol he paused and looked directly at me for the first time in three years.  His hand reached over and softly rested on my own.  It was such an unexpected gesture that I didn’t even flinch.  I just allowed him to hold my hand as his gentle eyes looked into mine.
“Come out with your hands up,” the voice outside echoed, with it came the return of my father’s determination as his hand gripped mine, hard as steel.  His face contorted into a half grin; as if this was the ending he had been planning on the whole time. Grabbing his pistol he lunged at the door, dragging me right behind him.
Bodies lunged at me from all directions, throwing me to the ground, knocking the gun out of my hands. My face was bashed into the gravel as one of them straddled me, his knees on either side of my rib cage, so tight I could hardly breathe.  The taste of asphalt filled my mouth.  My arms were forcefully yanked behind my back as I heard the familiar clink of the handcuffs as they encircled my wrists.
All the bright lights, so many of them now, as my father  smiled wickedly at me as he reached his finger down to taste my tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment