Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tuesday Survival Tip: Hunt Hungry



I don’t hunt, so right off the bat I have to admit to you that this one isn’t from me. My editor Matt is an avid hunter and in our discussions once he told me about his secret for the abundance of venison in his freezer.  He always hunts hungry.
At first I disregarded his statement, but the more I thought about it, the more profound it became. It puts you in a situation where you’re desperate. You hear, smell, think, and feel things you normally wouldn’t. You are fully immersed in the process; it becomes more than just an outing with “the guys”. It’s survival. The cracking of tree branches is not soon disregarded by one who’s salivating.

 

 

7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully said, Melanie! I'm not a hunter either, but my husband is. Hunting hungry is key! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know that thought never occured to me before Matt brought it up, but now it makes perfect sense.

      Delete
  3. Great advice. Can I put a twist on Matt's advice. Don't shop hungry. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Susan, lol! I haven't hunted since I was a teen. Then, with 9 kids and a dad who had a job that was feast or famine, success meant extra meat. One year when my dad was injured and couldn't work, it was food on the table to go with the huge garden mom put in. I'll say, I've never like hunting, per se, but it is amazing what hunger can do to motivate. I ceased looking at the cute deer and thought how many meals it would make instead. It brings a dedicated focus to what you're doing.

    It is a matter of how *hungry* you are for_____insert whatever it is. The success of the hunt depends upon your ability to focus all your senses to your surroundings--be it in the woods or in front of your computer writing a scene.

    Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. The more you focus on one or just a few somethings, the better you'll be at it.

      Delete