Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Hook


I’ve read a lot of books. A lot. Some I finish; some I don’t get past the first few pages. The big question is why. As a reader I wonder this, but even more as a writer. The last thing I want to think is that someone picked up one of my books and didn’t finish it. The horror!!!
For me it’s the hook, or hooks. A good hook in the beginning can carry me a long way. In I AM NUMBER FOUR, that amazing beginning carried me through to almost the end. It would have carried me to the very end if my adorable younger sister didn’t tell me that my favorite character wasn’t going to make it.
Hooks given along the way help; secret little drops of loveliness that keep you aching for more. The TWILIGHT books, any of them, are a good example of this. I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. And when I was done I immediately started all over again in case I missed something.
That’s what I want; my readers flipping the pages so fast they miss things, and then they go back and read it again.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't like that either, if someone started my book and didn't finish it. Erg! I ditto your sentiment about wanting readers to flip pages fast...also to stay up WAY past their bedtimes because they can't find a stopping place. Great goals, yep!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some books are a little slower to grab you in, so I always give it a chance. Maybe it's from all the literary stuff I've read over the years.

    I really tried to get into Twilight. I know the hook was pretty powerful, especially for females. But the writing itself just wasn't very good, and it made it difficult to read. Sometimes, being a writer makes it tough to be a fair reader.

    ReplyDelete