Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Presentation


I’m writing a presentation right now for a library tour I’m doing next summer to help promote my books and the topic is Crafting Compelling Characters.
The reason I picked that topic is because I feel it’s foundational to any good writing. I don’t care how good your story is, if I don’t care about the characters you’ve lost me.
So, I decided to try sections of my presentation out on all of you. (Nasty, aren’t I?) So please give your feedback and any additional ideas you may have.

Topic one: The Birth of a Character

Part one: The Physical

I’m a visual person, for me I have to have a picture of my characters close at hand to refer to regularly. For Joel, one of my MCs for NEWSTEAD, I went to the internet and typed in attractive male models. I was a little worried about what would show up, but surprisingly there wasn’t even enough to make me blush.  After I had one that fit the bill, I saved it under my favorites.

Now Rachel, the other MC, she came about a little differently. I already had a picture in mind when I created her. I was sitting in a local café and there was a huge poster on the wall of a beautiful girl who was being haggled by some obnoxious guys. I wrote down the name of the photograph and looked it up when I got home. It was An American Girl in Italy by Ruth Orkin, 1951. I studied that picture, what that girl must have felt like, her body language. Before I knew it, Rachel was born.

Thursday I’ll discuss more on the birth of a character, but I’ll get a little deeper than appearances.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I tend to not have a focused picture of a character when I start writing. I know a lot about her, but I really "learn" her as I write. I may try your technique out, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to, I am such a visual person I need to have an actual picutre in front of me.

      Delete
  2. I often picture my character in my head but once in a while I find a picture of someone that seems to be my character come to life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, my MC, Joel is almost seven feet tall and I did some of my best writing the day after I stood next to a huge guy in a line; it made it feel so real.

      Delete