Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Writing Plans


This is planning season for me.
I look over my calendar and try to think what we’ll do for school (we’re a homeschooling family), where we’ll go for vacation during the next year , and what if any projects we’ll do around the house.
I don’t know why, but every end of August, beginning of September I do this, it’s almost like nesting; maybe it has something to do with the long winter months on the way (Did I mention I live near Buffalo?).
Either way, that’s what I’m doing today. I’m bringing out my calendar and planning. But for the last two years I’ve added something extra to the planning list: What am I planning to write in the next year?
For the first time ever there’s some structure to my writing. I need to have my edits in by such and such a date and then revise for the final draft. The creative side of me is screaming over this, but I’ve promised it long months of free write time in-between.
So the question I ask today, my friends, is what are your writing plans for the next year, and how do you deal with the anticreativeness of deadlines?

2 comments:

  1. Actually I am more creative with defined boundaries. If I get started on something and I have no guidelines or rules then is seems the whole world is available to me and that can be overwhelming.

    One of the other things a deadline does for me is that is forces me to suspend my immediate judgement so that I can get the project done. Otherwise I am constantly refining and tweaking and never get things finished. Nothing gets a project focused for me like a deadline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, I can't count the number of things that I would not have completed without a deadline.

      Delete