Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Summer Expectations

For the last five years I have worked every weekend. Until January when my husband and I decided enough was enough.
 I know working every weekend sounds horrible, but it was actually a really good thing for us, for our family.  My husband works Monday through Friday, so it let us always have someone home with the kids. It was a hard decision to make because even though I only worked 24 hours a week (12 hour shifts on Saturday and Sunday) I was still considered full time and was paid that way. Only in nursing. Anyway, I digress. We decided it was time for us to have our weekends to spend together as a family. I went down to only one day a week, which in my case meant a substantial cut in pay.
Strangely enough we’re doing fine, actually better than fine. I didn’t realize how much I was missing out on all those years. I can’t wait for this summer to go to the local park and cook some hamburgers and throw the Frisbee around with my kids. Simple things, but important.
As it turns out, you can’t decide you want to go camping for Memorial Day weekend three weeks beforehand and still expect to get a campsite somewhere.
I guess I’ve just been out of the loop for too long, but I’ll know better for next year.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Mel. Selfishly I am glad because that means I will get to see more of you when I visit this summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the simple things that matter. :) Glad you're getting some time for your family. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You won't regret that time with your family. :) We decided I would stay home full time five years ago. It was the best thing for us. My husband's career has progressed every year since we decided.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So smart! Those little ones are grown and gone far too soon. Grab the time with them while you can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a wonderful plan. Those little guys grow up and leave in the blink of an eye. I've got a senior graduating in a few weeks and going off to college. It seems like just yesterday he was running around with popsicle dripping down his chin. Le sigh...

    ReplyDelete