Tuesday, May 3, 2011

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need your advice about something.
My dream is that this becomes a blog where writers share their short stories and/or snipits of their novels. To date I have had not one request for a slot. Not one, zilch, zero.
To be honest, this is probably because prior to the A-Z blogfest I only had six followers. (and half of them were my family)
But now I have thirty of you.  You will never know how grateful I am for each one.
I would like to continue with the momentum that led to my following increasing by 500%. I know that sounds impressive, but keep in mind, I started with only six.
What I need from you is advice. I would like to have a contest that accomplishes both goals at once: To have people display their stories, and to increase my following. I am not above bribery, so prizes will be offered. Please also advise what you feel these should be.
Thank you in advance for this.
P.S. On Friday I will post the last short story series I had been displaying before the  A-Z blogfest started; Cutter part 1-3. On M

4 comments:

  1. Gift cards are always winners. People get to pick which books to buy that way. :)

    And to be honest, since coming to your blog the first time, I've stopped reading the part up top where you tell us you accept short story submissions for the blog. Maybe you could put it somewhere where people are destined to look every time (e.g. by your "about me" section).

    Also, a reminder in your posts is helpful (much like this one).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... this is tricky. If you want to make it a writing competition, I agree with Emily that it has to be some sort of gift card.

    More than that, I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Misha that gift cards are the way to go. Amazon gift cards are the best, IMO because you can send them over email instead of having to send them through the mail. This is great for international participants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Wednesday! I think a lot of writers are cautioned NOT to post anything online. It's especially important if you/they plan to publish the manuscripts later on down the road. It'd have to be no more than one page, which I guess IS a "snippet." Still, I'm constantly changing my words around, and I personally would hate to have the old icky versions floating around in cyberspace as a sample of what I write. ;o)

    But yes, gift cards are way cool! We writers like to buy BOOKS. :) Book giveaways are fun too if you have some to pass on.

    ReplyDelete