Friday, January 30, 2015

Five Year Project

Last Friday of the Month
Today is the last Friday of the month, which makes it time for my post on The Five Year Project. Basically, it’s a group headed by Misha  Gericke where you make a goal and review it each month. For me, it’s to have a world class publishing company. Feel like joining us? You can sign up here.

How it’s going:  I’m not sure. It’s hard to make that transition from writer to editor. I know I’m much better at editing than I’ve ever been before. I know I can tell what’s good and what isn’t. I know I’ve had several requests from good writers who want me to publish their books. I just don’t know if I’m there yet. At this point I don’t feel like I have much more to offer than experience and advice, and I won’t sign on an author until I feel like I could actually help them. I know what it’s like to dream, and I refuse to compromise someone else’s for the sake of mine. So that’s where I am right now: not sure when ready is really ready.

How about you—have you ever been afraid to take that plunge?

7 comments:

  1. Yes!! I think all writer's are afraid to let others read their works. Especially the first time. Somethings that adage works--Just Do It!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be terrified to take on what you have. Only you know when you're ready.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone said once 'If you don't, then you shouldn't'. It *sounds* profound, but when I mull over it, it makes very little sense. I prefer 'follow your own drummer'. It's interesting how we just truly know when something is right, and when it is not. I imagine you will get to the 'right' moment for that publishing company, and in the nick of time, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if you don't quite feel ready yet, you shouldn't force it. That said, you need to figure out what to do to GET ready. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep practicing and soon you will be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you should take some online editing tests. This could both boost your confidence and let you know what you still need to work with. I think most editors can only offer advice and experience. Another suggestion, is to to take some elance jobs. (They have free skills tests for elancers, so it'sa good way to test your skills). You can gain experience there and maybe contacts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is very sensible to be cautious. And Beth has some good advice. Maybe taking on a small project, like publishing a short anthology as an e-book, would be a good start. Asking for submissions and working with the writers to polish the stories to perfection (or close to perfection!) would be useful experience.

    ReplyDelete