Friday, October 17, 2014

Small Things


She shook her head, watching the chaos going on in front of her. “I have no idea how you do it.”

I smiled to her and myself. That’s not the first time I’ve heard those words. Anyone who’s been at my house for any length of time and hears how often the word “Mom!” is thrown around, usually followed by a need of some kind, marvels that I’m able to accomplish anything at all. But I have. I’ve written five books and seen them published, homeschooled my children, and kept a garden, and of course, I’m married. But that’s about it. I don’t try to do it all. I chose a few things, things that are good and important for this season of my life and have focused on them. I say no a lot. Not because the request was bad, or unworthy, but because I’ve said greater yeses. I’ve said yes to two hours a day set aside for writing, I’ve said yes to the early mornings in my garden, I’ve said yes to a date night each week with my husband. I’ve said yes to my children.

Small things, things that would be so easy to push aside or write off as not important, but over the course of time those small things add up. In the end they’re what life is made of.

4 comments:

  1. Amen! Life gets really busy and overcomplicated when we say yes all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great life to me. Kids are a full time job even if you're not homeschooling them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you discovered the secret of a happy life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the important things. I've been culling back lately and have been looking at cutting somethings that most people would probably flip out about. It can be hard to make the changes necessary to focus on what matters most, but once we've made them, we wonder what took so long.

    ReplyDelete